Royal Canadian Air Force
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training: Evasive

Go down

Training: Evasive Empty Training: Evasive

Post by Hornet Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:19 am

We've all had someone on our tail.  It's a bad position to be in.  It may seem like all hope is lost, but it's actually far from over.   You just have to know what to do and when to do it.

The most common mistake seen is diving, yes it is an evasive maneuver, but it should really only be used as a last resort, or if it will put your opponent at a great disadvantage.  Bf 109s would dive when early version Spitfires would get on their tail, this was because the Merlin engine had a carburetor.  This negative G force would starve out the engine causing it to cut out.  The Bf 109s had fuel injection so this would not affect them.  This technique works in game too (not in Arcade).  If you don't believe me try it out.  Use the Spitfire MK. 1 or 2 and pull down or negative G and listen to your engine, it will cut out.  This tactic is good for going evasive against an early Spitfire, but the later Spitfires were fuel injected.  So this same tactic against them would actually be a terrible choice.

Another great mistake seen, believe it or not is doing absolutely nothing.  Yes, it does happen, I've seen other pilots do it, I've shot down many as well.  If you are chasing someone, and you pick up an enemy, don't just let them get good attack angles on you.  I understand that you really want that kill, but why commit suicide?  You don't have to break off your attack, but don't just sit there.

I cannot write a perfect 100% success guide to evasion.  It's impossible, everything depends on many factors.  Speed, altitude, attitude, distance, deflection angle, weapons, weather, obstructions, limitations, experience, configuration, and a whole lot more are variables that can change what to do or not to do.  There are a few simple  guidelines that can however increase your chances of survival.

As said before, don't dive unless the last resort or is a huge disadvantage to your opponent.  Also, diving when flying low level is also a bad idea, regardless of the situation, you will always lose.

You have to know your aircrafts capabilities.  The more time you spend on an aircraft, the better you will know what it can and cannot do.  Experiment with it in test flights.  Remember that post I wrote about speed and why IAS is important, here's a good reason to use IAS and take note or remember some critical speeds.  I like to fly the same aircraft, so I take it for a test flight and note speeds in which it will stall at, turns best at, cannot exceed, max speed for a high G turn without wing overloading, etc.  I literally have it written down and put off to the side so I know those important numbers.  I'm not saying you have to do that to, but at least try to remember some important ones, it will help you be a better pilot.

As with the last paragraph, know your opponents capabilities, by flying their aircraft, you can figure out their weaknesses.  Read some information about other aircraft, don't go off the real life information, go for the game information from the WarThunder forums on guides and such.

Don't just  turn as hard as you can, it may work if your opponent is inexperienced or is in a really bad turning aircraft.  Turning hard bleeds off a lot of speed, I mean a lot.   Watch you ASI (Air Speed Indicator) when you do that.  You can bleed off 50% of your speed and energy in seconds.  Also, for those who play Simulator, I'm sure you have experienced a snap roll, or tip stall.  Try just tolling instead.  Rolling makes it difficult to aim at you.  It also has to make them guess where you are going to end up.

SA or Situational Awareness, know what's going on around you.  Simply put, don't let your opponent on your six and you won't have to worry about it.  Always be looking around and watching where everyone is.   It's too easy in Arcade and Realistic.  You have the tags and RADAR.  Don't just fly into a group of enemies and expect to not get shot down.

Have a wingman, by far one of the most important tip for flying.  By working as a team, your chances of survival and victory increase dramatically.  Even if you, or your wingman aren't the best, it's intimidating to see people (especially with the same squadron tags) flying together.  99.99% of the time when I'm flying and I see a squad flying together with the same squadron tags, I will avoid them at all cost unless a squadron teammate needs help.

I now have a good video of me flying a Meteor when a YAK comes and has the advantage.  I use their speed against them and perform a "Scissor" maneuver to end up on his six and then eventually get the kill.
Hornet
Hornet

Back to top Go down