Royal Canadian Air Force
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arcade Troubles and Tricks

5 posters

Go down

Arcade Troubles and Tricks Empty Arcade Troubles and Tricks

Post by Skylandrial Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Greetings fellow Squadron mates.  For some reason the powers that be have decided that I should moderate this Arcade section so welcome aboard.
First of all we all know that this flight simulator has some issues and in arcade mode those issues are more flagrantly viewable, so we are going to look at how to avoid some of the traps and how to take advantage of some of the problems current in the arcade game.
1) Broken Flight models; in arcade you need to realize right now that certain planes and two certain nations (USSR and USA) are fragrantly flawed and overpowered.  Here is the short, if it has a cannon it will probably be overpowered, ergo everyone is flying cannon powered aircraft regardless of whether they were a piece of junk in real life in the real war.2) Climb rates and turn rates are really skewed in Arcade which means planes that you should be able to turn inside of you won't be able to.  The only time you are truly safe at height is when you are a million miles up in the air, FW 190s and every other plane can climb up to you in a matter of seconds and blow you away so unless you can be really unobtrusive you will get a visit from a fighter at some point.
3) Speaking of bombers right now they are basically sitting ducks unless you are flying a Russian bomber/attacker then you are like invincible.  Your best bet in shooting a Russian flying tank down is to try and get a shot in the cockpit and kill the pilot otherwise they absorb lead like a sponge.4) Head on attacks need to be avoided but if you get caught in one try and twitch off at the last second preferably down rather than to the side.  You can also zoom in on your target and start hosing him down from about Km away and that might cause him to flinch off.
5) Fly in squads as much as possible, take turns diving and attacking while your buddy or buddies watch your back.  Stay close to one another once you are separated it becomes very easy to get shot down.
6) Height is your friend if you are an American, Boom and zoom American planes handle like pregnant cows so don't get into a turning match if you can avoid it.  P39's are the king of the American planes, Yaks Russian, FW's 190's are amazing Boom and zoom planes and for the Brits Typhoons are great for Boom and Zoom, 4 cannons make a big hole in someone.  Your best Low level planes for the Brits are Boomerangs, Russians La's, Americans who knows and BF 109's for the Germans.

Well good hunting and watch your six out there.
Skylandrial
Skylandrial

Back to top Go down

Arcade Troubles and Tricks Empty Re: Arcade Troubles and Tricks

Post by awsomeom Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:38 pm

cool
awsomeom
awsomeom

Back to top Go down

Arcade Troubles and Tricks Empty Troubles and Tips Arcade the Joystick

Post by Skylandrial Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:52 pm

I am sure some of you are drooling thinking about getting out your joystick and going after this game; well a word to the wise; it isn't as easy as they make you think.
Usually I find that when I have tried to use the joystick it is really fun to do the aerobatics part of flying and usually I have no trouble flying behind people but when it is time to shoot them down, problems. Whether you are in the cockpit or flying in the outside view keeping the crosshairs on the target is tricky. One little twitch and you are in some other part of the sky so let me give you a couple of things that are helping me as I struggle to get the joystick under control.
1) Figure out if you like a lot of "play" in your joystick or you like it "tight". Loose means that if you have a small twitch you won't be pointing at the moon on the other hand it slows down your joystick feed when it is time to do aerobatics. The choice is yours and what you prefer.
2) Start by using your reserve planes, they cost you nothing to fix and generally you shoot and shoot and shoot to knock something down which gives you lots of practice targeting which is good.
3) Start with the basic setting, as you become comfortable with that you may want to change buttons around but don't do that until you are more proficient at flying in basic mode.
And lastly take along a buddy to watch your back, and don't be offended by them laughing or giggling as you fly all over the sky for a bit just remember he who laughs last probably shot the other guy down.

Have fun and watch your six
Skylandrial
Skylandrial

Back to top Go down

Post by awsomeom Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:32 am

what kind of joystick do you use im looking for one to buy:scratch:
awsomeom
awsomeom

Back to top Go down

Post by Skylandrial Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:11 am

Right now I am using a Thrustmaster FX but I think there are better ones out there
Skylandrial
Skylandrial

Back to top Go down

Arcade Troubles and Tricks Empty thanks

Post by awsomeom Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:32 pm

thanks
awsomeom
awsomeom

Back to top Go down

Post by KKB Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:40 pm

I tried and failed horribly, using the joystick. K&M for me.

Tip: Don't use zoom while fighting. Sure, use it to scope out the battlefield (is it a battlefield if it's in the air?)...using zoom while fighting causes tunnel vision and it sure to get you shot down by someone you never even knew was there.

Watch your six, gents. Smile
KKB
KKB

Back to top Go down

Post by Skylandrial Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:15 pm

Another thing to remember in arcade is that it is "arcade" read unreal.  Unlimited WEP means that you are not safe at any distance and that bullet convergence is a non-issue.  What does this mean; no matter how high you are people can flip on the WEP and be in striking distance very quickly.  The gun convergence means that out to a kilometer you are probably dead meat and that you can shoot people down if you are lucky out to 2km.
Lastly it means that bullet and canon damage is not realistic so a 37mm canon or 40 mm canon is going to blow you to bits.
Lastly you will always be in a furball there is no sitting around and picking targets so just dive in there and let er rip cause you have as much chance of surviving in one plane as a snowball does in well you know where.
Remember though it is arcade, read have fun, don't take it seriously and learn some skills.
Skylandrial
Skylandrial

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironman914 Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:38 pm

I am using the Logitech 3D Pro and its a very stiff and non resposive joystick to fly with. I had to increase the sensitivity alot just to be able to stay inside a turn with someone. I usually use it only for flying a bomber because dogfighting with it is very difficult to master. Great tips though!
Ironman914
Ironman914

Back to top Go down

Post by awsomeom Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:09 pm

XD im srry to hear u have a hard time dogfighting I also have the same stick and a tip from me is to try and high yoyo or low yoyo and when fighting bombers go for the head on and I roll set to 100% and pitch to 60% and yaw 40%
awsomeom
awsomeom

Back to top Go down

Post by awsomeom Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:11 pm

and also I have made some settings for more engine control to get the best performance out of your plane I could send them to u if u would like Very Happy
awsomeom
awsomeom

Back to top Go down

Post by Hornet Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:06 pm

I would avoid using a joystick in both Arcade and Realistic. Mouse aim is more precise and smooth. You're putting yourself at a disadvantage by using a joystick in one of those mode. I would go to Simulator if you really want to use a joystick.
Hornet
Hornet

Back to top Go down

Post by awsomeom Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:37 pm

XD I think every joystick would know this by now never in RB and AB
awsomeom
awsomeom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content